- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 cup cold butter cut into pieces
- 4 to 6 large apples peeled cored and thickly sliced (you want about 6 cups)
- 6 tbsp apple juice ( I didn’t have any apple juice, so used 1 tbsp lemon juice and the rest water)
- In a large bowl, stir the flour, oats, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and nuts together until combined. Add the butter and mix with a pastry blender, fork or hands until pea sized lumps are formed.
- Place the apple slices in the base of the slow cooker and add the apple juice. Sprinkle the flour mixture evenly over them.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours. (make sure your slow cooker actually cooks on low- many of the newer ones actually run higher. If your’s cooks hot, you may want to shorten the cooking time.)
- Serve warm with a scoop (or 2) of vanilla ice cream