If you like cheese scones, you will love these beauties. Super easy, super quick and super delicious. For a twist I crumbled a bit of blue cheese with the Cheddar -turned out awesome. Betcha can’t eat just one…
Tip – no buttermilk – use regular milk and add 1 tablespoon of vinegar – works like a charm.
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
1 cup old cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cayenne pepper and salt.
2. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Stir in the cheese.
4. Add the buttermilk all at once, stirring with a fork to make a soft, sticky dough.
5. With lightly floured hands, press the dough into a ball.
6. On a lightly floured surface, knead gently 10 times.
7 Pat out the dough into a 3/4-inch thick round.
8. Using a 2-1/2-inch floured cutter, cut out rounds.
9. Place on a ungreased baking sheet.
10. Gather up the scraps and repat dough once; cut out more rounds.
11. Brush the tops of the scones with egg.
12. Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden.
**Recipe and picture taken from food.com…the recipe site for all your needs.
Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/cheddar-cheese-scones-144780#?oc=linkback